Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Doll Sewing for an 11 year old?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Bean Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    465
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I certianly sewed dresses and things when I was in the fifth grade, but I'd been sewing pretty much all my life.

    For a beginner, I'd have her start with a pillow, since those are really simple. I don't know that a beginner can do a quilt, since those are actually a little tough ... you've got to put the pieces together in a special way (sew it together in squares, not rows), put a batting in and backing on, then quilt the stupid thing. If she really wants a doll blanket, maybe you should let her try a tie blanket. That'd be more 'historically accurate' for a today girl anyway (unless we're sewing for Addy, then forget what I said).

    Maybe to teach her hems, do a shaw next? Cut an isosoles triangle with a base longer than its sides, ravel the two shorter sides, then hem the long side (like Kirsten's school shaw). She can surely do skirts, but like another member said, elastic isn't as easy as it looks. Maybe you could teach her scrunchies first, since it's the same principle. Or, sew on velcro or snaps, OR, thread ribbon through the elastic waistband and let it tie in a bow.

    I'd do a simple jumper next, because they don't have any arms. Then, when she's feeling brave, tackle something with sleeves.

    Sewing really isn't hard, I'm sure she'll do fine!

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Molly-Felicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2004
    Posts
    471
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My daughter took a week long sewing class at a local fabric shop when she was not quite 8. They used computerized Berninas and made an apron from a dish towel, a tote bag, and a draw string jewelery bag. She learned to use the machine quite well. This summer she'll take another one of these classes and do a backpack, pillow, and pajama pants (she'll be 10 - almost 11 at the time.)

    I think with the instruction your daughter has already had she should be fine. One of the major pattern companies (McCalls, Simplicity, or Butterick) has a line of patterns called "Sewing for Dummies" and there is a doll clothing pattern in the series.

    Edited to add: I just looked up the patterns for you and it is Simplicity that has the "Sewing for Dummies" patterns.

    Simplicity 7069 - AG sized doll clothes

    Simplicity 7071 - Bitty Baby

    Simplicity 7073 - Barbie

    Have fun!!

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ March 25, 2006 06:55 AM: Message edited by: Molly-Felicity ]</font>

  3. #13
    HB Forum Owner Kaileyfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10th, 2005
    Posts
    1,752
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I started to sew when I was about 10. I started by hand. Then just this Christmas my parents got me a sewing machine, some fabric, and Simplicity Sewing for Dummies patterns for 18 inch dolls. I do not know what I did with the patterns,but I never used them. I made my today dolls a skirt. I think your daughter will be fine with the sewing machine just make sure you supervise her when she is using it.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks, everyone! I think she is going to start on a simple patchwork blanket. I haven't sewed anything in awhile, so the class has renewed my interest. I will let you know how it turns out.

    I am going to check out more classes and the sewing for dummies patterns. It sound like fun.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member AGcrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 17th, 2006
    Posts
    338
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've used the Sewing for Dummies pattern for AGs that has the hoodie and the PJs on it and it's not quite for beginners. I think it's a little advanced to be honest. It assumes too much, like one place on the pajamas I thought they should have shown more step by step.

    For someone who has sewn a long time (I've been sewing around 30 years now) it even threw me just a little bit till I realized "oh that's what they left out!" So do review the instructions beforehand which I know you would do anyway. There are some really cute patterns on the Dummies but she will definitely need some help! [img]smile.gif[/img]

  6. #16
    Inactive Member judiaci's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    2,354
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for your input, Tari. I guess we will start on the blanket and go from there. Maybe a simple skirt next and then proceed to a pattern. I am a pretty good seamstress (not that I do it much, [img]redface.gif[/img] ) so I will be able to help. I don't want to turn her off by something too complicated, however, so I appreciate the heads up.

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Molly-Felicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2004
    Posts
    471
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm not surprised that the Dummies patterns are actually not that easy. Why do pattern companies do that?

    Anyway, I just remembered a great site for kids. The site is www.sewyoungsewfun.com. It's sponsored by Viking and has some great projects on it. Apparently Viking sponsors a TV series (probably PBS or HGTV) by the same name. I've never seen it in our area, but it sounds great. Most of the projects are not for dolls per se, but still a great way to get started sewing.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member AGcrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 17th, 2006
    Posts
    338
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No problem! Your blanket and skirt ideas sound the best to me. When little kids would come to craft shows and say they were wanting to learn to sew, I always suggested making something for themselves first like a pair of shorts or simple skirt, then something simple for their doll. I always steered them away from Barbie until they mastered American Girl size doll things. I told them the tinier the clothes, the more practice it takes.

    As far as the Dummies patterns, I don't know why they call them easy but tend to skip over steps. I found the same thing in the Barbie Dummies one too that I use. I never thought about it before but I guess feedback to Simplicity might work in getting the directions more simplified. I'd have to go over the steps again to see where exactly they skimped because once I have it in my brain how to make something, I normally don't need the guidesheet next time. Unless it's a long time between making items. [img]wink.gif[/img]

  9. #19
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I began at age 12 or so, in school. My teacher started us off with human-sized clothing--yikes! I think the idea of sewing small projects first helps kids get a sense of accomplishment without as much work.

    My suggestion is Morrissey Doll patterns. They are so easy to follow--they're how I taught myself to sew well (at a much later age). The pattern pieces are on white paper, not on tissue paper that rips easily, and on smaller dimensions of paper.

    Also, the heirloom quilting kit that Magic Cabin sells teaches girls step by step how to quilt and make four projects--half for dolls. Most of the cutting is already done, making it a project that's ready to start as soon as you get it.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member JuliaAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2002
    Posts
    884
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What a neat thread to read! Judi, that's great that the girls are learning to sew in such an encouraging environment.

    The sewing suggestions in this thread are really good. I think I learned to use my mom's sewing machine at age 10 or 11. I didn't have any patterns so I made up projects. The simplest is a drawstring bag. I made skirts for my dolls by sewing a tube of fabric and putting a casing at one end and then inserting a piece of elastic. I sewed all hems by hand because machine-sewn hems were considered really tacky, even on doll clothes. [img]eek.gif[/img] At least it gave me lots of practice at hand stitching.

    In junior high sewing class, my first project was an apron. That went together well. The second project was a jumper, which I looked awful in. My sewing was great but the pattern we had to use was dreadful so I was really discouraged when it came to making clothes. By the time I reached highschool, I did sew my own clothing but wish I'd had a more encouraging introduction to choosing and sewing clothing.

    I like the suggestions in this list for beginning projects. If your daughter wants to make doll clothes, try starting with something simple and fairly fail-proof when it comes to fitting, such as a skirt with elastic at the waist or a drawstring purse or scarf.

    Curved seams are tricky when first learning to sew, so depending on your daughter's skill, avoid inset sleeves and pants for a bit until she gets used to turning the fabric while sewing.

    Julia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •